Item Coversheet
CC #: 2238
File #: 0307-02
Title:Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan Update - Professional Services Agreement and Budget Adjustment

  Joe Anderson 916-746-1300


Meeting Date: 8/3/2022

Item #: 7.10.


Staff recommends the City Council take the following actions:
1. Adopt a resolution to approve a professional services agreement between the City of Roseville and Tetra Tech, Inc. for preparation of the City’s Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan (MHMP) Update and authorize the City Manager to execute it on behalf of the City, and
2. Adopt an ordinance to approve a budget adjustment to add $149,943 of grant funds provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to the project to complete the MHMP Update.


The federal Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 (DMA2000) requires all local agencies to have an approved Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan (MHMP) in order to receive post-disaster mitigation funds. The purpose of the federal mandate is to encourage local agencies to plan in advance for any type of hazards or disasters for which the community is at risk and to have programs and projects in place to mitigate the disaster should one ever occur. DMA 2000 requires local agencies to update their hazard mitigation plans on a five-year cycle. The City's 2016 Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan was adopted by Council at their February 15, 2017 meeting, and is therefore due for an update.


Maintenance of a MHMP is also a prerequisite to maintain the City's Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA's) Community Rating System (CRS) Class 1 rating. 


Annual reviews/progress reports of the MHMP is required by Section 19.3 of the City's adopted Plan. The annual progress report is also required as one component of the CRS recertification. The annual review is an opportunity for "continuing public involvement" as required by DMA 2000. The latest progress report was accepted by Council at their July 21, 2021 meeting. These annual reviews ensure that the Plan remains dynamic and reflects the changing capabilities of the City. The suggested changes from the annual reviews conducted since the adoption of the 2016 plan will be incorporated into this five-year update. 


Staff conducted a competitive Request for Proposals (RFP) process to solicit consulting support for the MHMP Update. Five responsive proposals were received for the project and Tetra Tech, Inc. was unanimously selected by staff to update the City's MHMP. 


Concurrently, knowing the Update was coming due, staff applied for a FEMA Hazard Mitigation Grant to fund the Update in March of 2020, while continuing to request the typical General Fund appropriations (in the event the grant application was not successful) to fund the update. Staff recently learned the City was awarded $149,943 (approximately 75% of the anticipated cost) to complete the project. 


Funding for all annual review/progress reports and MHMP Updates are generally provided by General Fund resources in an existing Multi Hazard Mitigation Plan project. The FEMA grant award of $149,943 will fund approximately 75% of the anticipated cost of the next Update. The grant requires the remaining 25% be local matching funds. The recommended budget adjustment will add the FEMA grant revenue to the project, move General Fund resources in the amount of the grant award back to General Fund available resources in fund balance, and realign the project's expenditure budget to more closely match expected project expenditures.


The California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) only applies to projects which have the potential to cause a significant effect on the environment. Where it can be seen with certainty that there is no possibility that the activity in question may have a significant effect on the environment, the activity is not subject to CEQA. (CEQA Guidelines §15061(b)(3)).



Goal C - Maintain a safe and healthy community


Respectfully Submitted,

Joe Anderson, Associate Engineer

Jason Shykowski, Public Works Director 

Dominick Casey, City Manager

Resolution 22-306
Tetra Tech PSA
Ordinance 6539
Budget Adjustment